Those message are kind of odd, even on a messed up system. I would first run the repair privileges in the disk utility for good measure, then delete all traces of MySQL and just start over. MySQL should be in /usr/local/mysql. To remove it just type:
sudo rm -R /usr/local/mysql

Then try installing again. If you are running OSX Server, things may be a little different. Apple puts MySQL files in different places on there server install as I recall. You may need to poke around a bit to find them. Check /usr/local and also /etc