Gleb Paharenko wrote:

Hello.

I've been able to insert Russian characters (utf8) through the
QueryBrowser under Linux (FC4). Please, could you provide CREATE
statement for you table

CREATE TABLE `WebNewsPostings` (
 `PRID` mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment,
`MyStamp` timestamp NOT NULL default CURRENT_TIMESTAMP on update CURRENT_TIMESTAMP,
 `DateDay` tinyint(3) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
 `DateMonth` tinyint(3) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
 `DateYear` mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
 `CopyTitle` varchar(255) character set latin1 NOT NULL default '',
 `CopyMain` mediumtext character set latin1 NOT NULL,
 `Image` varchar(50) character set latin1 default '',
 `Language` tinyint(3) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
 PRIMARY KEY  (`PRID`)
) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8

I don't know what those individual 'character set latin1' bits are. I haven't been messing with per-field character sets - I've just been using mysql-administrator to change the character set for the entire table. But anyway, the source *IS* latin1, so maybe this shouldn't be a problem anyway?

and output of:
 show variables like '%char%';

mysql> show variables like '%char%';
+--------------------------+----------------------------+
| Variable_name            | Value                      |
+--------------------------+----------------------------+
| character_set_client     | latin1                     |
| character_set_connection | latin1                     |
| character_set_database   | latin1                     |
| character_set_results    | latin1                     |
| character_set_server     | latin1                     |
| character_set_system     | utf8                       |
| character_sets_dir       | /usr/share/mysql/charsets/ |
+--------------------------+----------------------------+
7 rows in set (0.00 sec)

As far as I know, QueryBrowser invokes SET NAMES 'utf8' by default.
And the only way to force it to use your connection character sets is to
run a transaction. Are characters that you're pasting into QueryBrowser
displayed correctly in the query tab?

Yes. They display correctly - both in query browser AND in my Perl Gtk2 app. What's more, when I inspect the binary query log, the same sequence of reverse-coloured characters is used to represent the characters that are giving problems. Which ever method I use to get the data in ( query browser / in-house Perl Gtk2 app ), the data *looks* perfect when I paste it in, but when I return to look at it later it's corrupted.

Thanks for the reply, by the way :)

Dan

--
Daniel Kasak