On a 1.6ghz, 1gb ram, Linux machine running Mysql 4.1x.
  I have an Innodb table with over 20 million records and index size
about 3.7 gig, data size 2.2gig (yes, many indexes, more space then
the data itself). Last night I tried an Optimize from the Admin gui
console (logged in as root at the host server), and the thing is still
running!
Problem is I need to leave early this evening and have to take some action.

The Linux 'top' utility has it on the top since then at about 11%-18%
cpu Disk activity is continuously heavy.

1. How long should it take?

2. If I hit <cancel> will it:
a) Roll back what it did, another 14 hours!
b) Just stop as if nothing happened.
c) The table will be partially optimized and will run normally.
d) hang the process and/or machine.

3. Is the data in jeopardy?

Thank you all.
-nat