I believe that some time in the future mysql will support oracle style connect by prior syntax but it's not implemented yet.

Gleb Paharenko wrote:

Hello.

Though I haven't read this article, but its title looks promicing:
 http://dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/articles/hierarchical-data.html

Duncan Miller wrote:
I am looking to do a query on a self join table that returns the parent
records.

Obviously there are ways to do this, but just wondered if there are any
functions in MySQL that make this easier, or specific functions
available to stored procedures. I have read the manual and couldn't find
anything, but thought I would ask.

I notice that the new MS SQL Server has support for recursive queries
and oracle also, so I thought maybe...

Thanks