Hi Peter,

40 tables seems to be relatively small, I have several databases that I
manage that have tables that number in the hundreds. In other databases,
I have one site that has 7,500 tables. Have a look at some of the open
source ERP systems around eg. Nola or similar, their tables number in
the hundreds. It just needs to be managed correctly like anything else
that becomes complicated. You have a set of routines and procedures and
refine and stick with them.

BTW IMHO it would depend on whether you need the features of PHP5 vs 4.
PHP4.4.1 is quite stable and works fine.

Regards

David Logan
Database Administrator
HP Managed Services