I don't have any experience with dual core yet (my first dual dual
core box is scheduled to arrive this week!!). I don't think I'd opt
for a dual core in place of 2 single cores. I'm hoping (expecting?) to
see an advantage in 2 DC over 2 SC.

As far as SCSI over SATA goes, I exclusively use SATA. It meets my
workload needs and I always run in redundant arrays. I like using
3ware cards -- the management interface is the most sensical that I've
come across. I've also learned to get chassis with hot swap bays only
-- you loose more drives than you'd think and it definitely reduces
downtime.

SCSI will perform better than SATA, but it will also cost a lot more.
If you're going to run a non-redundant array, go SCSI -- they do tend
to stand up better over time.

I'd also think about your environment -- what do the other systems
use? What are the other admins comfortable with? If everything else is
SCSI, it probably means you have a bunch of spare SCSI drives sitting
around and a supplier that gives you a deal.

You still haven't outlined what your applications requirements are, so
it's hard to say for sure.