"Jesse" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 12/14/2005 02:03:22 PM:

> Hello,
> I need help building a SQL Statement.  I'm currently using MySQL
> 5.something.  This one is kind of strange, and I can't seem to figure
out
> how to do it.
>
> I have a table named Participants. Each Participant is allowed to bring
up
> to 5 Guests.  Instead of putting the names in a separate table (which
would
> take more coding), I just added 5 Guest fields named Guest1-Guest5 (Yes,
we
> could argue about normalization here, but I'd rather not).  When
displaying
> this information in a grid, however, I would like to display the
> Participants name, and the number of guests they're bringing.  Example:
>
> Joe Blow        5
> Nancy Vila        2
> Henry Morgan        1
>
> How do I build a SQL Statement that will somehow give a count if a Guest

> field has something in it?  I could build a case statement something
like
> this:
> CASE WHEN Guest1 IS NOT NULL THEN 1 WHEN Guest2 IS NOT NULL THEN 2 ...
END

> However, I know how users are. Someone is gong to put a value in the
Guest1
> field, skip Guest2, and put something in Guest3.  So, I need a better
> solution.
>
> I am using ASP.Net to display the data, and I'm using a DataGrid.  They
tend
> to be a bit more difficult to figure out how to do this sort of thing
with,
> or I would probably have just coded it.  If I can find a SQL Solution,
that
> would be best here.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Jesse

Yes, I need to gently chide you about breaking normalization. You have
traded a little bit of coding used to validate your data and populate the
table with a whole bunch of coding to maintain and use it. The simple,
robust query (from the normalized solution) should have looked something
like this:

SELECT p.name, count(g.id)
FROM participant p
LEFT JOIN guest g
 ON p.id = g.participant_id
GROUP BY p.name;

Instead you have to do conditional math across all 5 guest columns to get
your data. If sometime in the future, someone decides that there should be
up to 20 guests per participant, your table suddenly gets 4 times wider
and this query (and every other query that uses this table, including your
INSERT statements) becomes 4 times nastier. Doing it the other way would
require no table changes, little to no query changes, and little to no
reporting code modification if you decided to allow more than 5 guests per
participant.

Anyway, to get your guest counts, try this (assuming that any non-NULL
value is a valid guest):
SELECT name,
5-isnull(guest1)-isnull(guest2)-isnull(guest3)-isnull(guest4)-isnull(guest5)
as guests
FROM participant;

Shawn Green
Database Administrator