I'm trying to think of the ways I can accomplish having a master database of countries and states/provinces that I can reference in several other databases.

I'd like to have a table of countries available for selection by the users in a web app, but I'm not sure of the best way to then allow them to pick the state/province in which they reside in that country. I've thought of a foreign key in the state table that references the parent country and do a state/province lookup off of that (SELECT state FROM tblStates JOIN ON tblState.countryID=WhatYouChoseAlready, or something similar - my syntax may not be correct).

Is there another way that has been used by anyone with good success? Any suggestions welcome.

And would ISO.org be the best place to find such country and province lists, or perhaps the Postal Service? Any past experience?