Darryl Hoar wrote:

Greetings,
I need to get a tool to create reports using mysql databases.  It would be
great if the resultant reports could be run by themselves (not inside the
report development environment).

Anybody have any recommendations ?
Yes. One of my open-source projects is PDF::ReportWriter. You can get it at http://entropy.homelinux.org/axis_not_evil/

It's written in Perl, is cross-platform, and exports direct high-quality PDFs ( with the help of PDF::API2 ). There is no 'development environment' as yet - you have to write your report definition in code, but in my defense, it's not particularly hard to do :) After you've written the report definition, you load an array of data ( eg from a database query ), and pass it to PDF::ReportWriter.

There's a simple example on the webpage, along with a screenshot of the output ( inside gpdf ).

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer