Thanks the on & off-list replies, but I obviously didn't explain my situation
very well!

My app is essentially creating summary reports from large amounts of data. It
is _not_ doing the actual data warehousing. It's international trade data.

The data tables contain foreign keys for stuff like destination country, trade
commodity category etc., but they are _not_ themselves referenced by any other
table. Therefore I have not yet found, nor do I envisage finding, any use for
an arbitrary auto_increment primary key. So why would/might I need a PK at all?

TIA,
James Harvard