Here are the results of alias and type

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ alias
alias ls='ls --color=auto'

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ type mysql
mysql is /usr/bin/mysql

And for the emily account:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/home/mark$ alias
alias ls='ls --color=auto'

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/home/mark$ type mysql
mysql is /usr/bin/mysql

The error from my PATH is from how I used it. I left out the 'echo' command. I
get the same results in the emily account

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/home/mark$ $PATH
bash: /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games: No such file or
directory

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/home/mark$ echo $PATH
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games

However, Michael hit the nail on the head! I have a .my.cnf file that was
causing the problem. I had the line
user            mark
which should be
user=mark

That also explains the funny error message I was getting.

Thanks for all your help, everything is now working!!

Mark

--
Mark Phillips
[EMAIL PROTECTED]