Thanks Hank.  I'll try to split up the query  into 2 separate queries.  I think
that the reason the original  query is so slow is that I don't have enough RAM
allocated to  mysql.  When the original query takes place, I see a process
"Copying to tmp table on disk".  I believe it's writing all the  data to the
disk and then sorting it.  I'd like to try tweaking  the my.cnf file to allow
mysql to use more RAM.    I  just need someone to help me edit the file because
I'm not quite sure  what I'm doing...

  Thanks,
  Grant

Hank <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:  > Now that I know what's causing the slow
queries, what can I do to fix it?

The only thing I can suggest is breaking up the query into two parts -
the first part to retrieve just the product codes and salesrank, and
sort and limit that.. save in a temp table or use application code to
retrieve and print the rest of the product info.  Sorting 300,000+
records in that huge result set is going to take some time (although
it shouldn't take 10 minutes).

-Hank