Aftab Khan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 12/28/2005 02:15:33 PM:

> Can some one please tell me what I am doing wrong here.... I have
installed
> and configured users in the database.  I am using ODBC driver to logon.
> When I use the password, it does not work but surprisingly the logon is
> allowed without a password.  I have tried to use MySQL Administrator to
> logon remotely but same thing.  I reset user's password and Flushed but
> still could not get the logon with blank password go away.  Any help is
> appreciated.

Depending on how you installed MySQL, you may or may not have performed
this step of the installation process:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/default-privileges.html

It sounds to me that you have the anonymous account still in your
mysql.user table.

Try this:

SELECT id, user, host, password from mysql.user;

You should be able to identify the odd account pretty easily. Just DELETE
the account and FLUSH PRIVILEGES again and you should no longer be able to
login without both a user name and a password.

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine