Hi Dan, all!

Dan Rossi wrote:
Hi, im having some issues with a sub query in mysql5 , i have a field which is storing a static comma seperate list of primary keys ie 1,2,3,4

Call me pedantic, but I get suspicious:
Is that a list of the four values "1", "2", "3", "4", or is it rather a single character string "1,2,3,4" ?
Your text "static comma seperate list" makes me believe the latter.

, i am then trying to use that to find entries in another table of the same primary keys here is the sql

SELECT count(*) FROM feeds WHERE feedID IN (SELECT feeds FROM month_totals WHERE customerID=9 AND month_unique=1105)

expected result should be 4 , i get 1. If i manually put in

SELECT count(*) FROM feeds WHERE feedID IN (1,2,3,4)

for instance i get 4

Here, SQL syntax clearly specifies that this is a list of 4 integer values.

querying

SELECT feeds FROM month_totals WHERE customerID=9 AND month_unique=1105

gives me 1,2,3,4 , what seems to be the problem ?

Same question as above - a list of 4 values, or a single one?

Show us your "create table" for the involved tables, and also sample data of "SELECT feedID FROM feeds".

Regards,
Jörg

MySQL AB, www.mysql.com