Hi,

>> MySQL 4.1.10a on FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE-p6
>> ERROR 1030 (HY000): Got error 12 from storage engine
>> Strangely, this problem does not appear when mysqld is restarted and I
>> retry the query. When I wait a day, the error starts to appear again.
>
> It seems like a memory leak. However we can't be sure, may be due some
> coincidence memory is thrilled by client threads. In my opinion your
> first step should be upgrade to 4.1.16. Use MySQL from ports collection,
> and if the problem still exists, check if it disappears with official
> binaries. Then decrease sizes of different buffers.
>
> Check if error repeats after FLUSH TABLES.

thanks for the tips! Flushing the tables did not clear up the problem,
so I have upgraded MySQL and will see how it goes.

At  http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/freebsd.html,  I  have also
found  the suggestion to set some kernel tunables in order to increase
the  maximum memory size of a process. FreeBSD apparently sets this to
512MB.  It  may  be  that I am just hitting this limit after MySQL has
been running for longer.

Thanks again!

Kind regards,
Walter Hop
Transip BV

--
  Transip BV | http://www.transip.nl/
  Hoogwaardige Innovatie | Aangename Zekerheid