Very odd problem. I do have a larger database, with many myisam tables.
A couple days ago, some of them turned 'read only'.

Symptom:

delete from day_48392 where id=28398776259;
ERROR 1036 (HY000): Table 'day_48392' is read only

I checked:

- table file permissions are right ('660 mysql:daemon').
  They are the same for all tables
- directory permissions are 700 mysql:daemon
- tables are not packed.

To track this down, I tried:

- copy data from old table to a new table:
  create table x like day_48392;
  insert into x select * day_48392;

   table 'x' is now writable and "works fine"

  drop table day_48392;
  alter table x rename day_48392;

   and 'day_49392' is once again read only :-(

- compress/uncompress the table: no luck

- repair the table from within mysql fails (read only)
- repair table from shell with myisamchk works, but
  doesn't fix the problem

- I flushed tables (several times)
- I restarted mysql
- I rebooted the system

So what else ???

Hint:

before this started, I backed up a number of older tables.
In order to back them up, I copied them to a different
partition, marked them '444'. Next, I dropped the tables, and added a
symlink to the backups.

Looks like tables are affected if they existed at the time of the
backup. Tables created after that are fine. The tables that have the
problem where not touched during the backup :-(

The tables are part of a merge table. but dropping the merge table
doesn't help.