Did you try to run OPTIMIZE TABLE, REPAIR TABLE or ALTER TABLE on
those tables? If you run an ALTER TABLE table_name TYPE=old_type (be
sure to replace old_type with whatever the table currently is), it
should rebuild the table.

Check the docs on mysql.com, there are a bunch of pages about
upgrading between version. On possible probablem you could be facing
in change in how whitespace is handled in indexes.