Hi,

I'm currently creating a PHP commandline tool to manage MySQL databases
and user privileges easily since the whole thing is way to complex to do
it by hand with SQL queries and you have nothing else right after
installing the MySQL server on an SSH-only machine where the webserver
depends on the database. So I'm close to finished now, but there's one
major point that seems to be impossible or at least undocumented:

How can I revoke a GRANT OPTION on a database or table from a user?

The manual <http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/grant.html> says
something about

    REVOKE ALL PRIVILEGES, GRANT OPTION FROM user [, user] ...

but this can only revoke the GRANT OPTION on a global level as it seems,
not on a certain database or table. Trying to use this query

    REVOKE ALL PRIVILEGES, GRANT OPTION ON `test`.* FROM 'test'@'localhost'

fails with the error message

    You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that
corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use
near 'ON `test`.* FROM 'test'@'localhost'' at line 1

I could of course modify the relevant part of the mysql.db table myself
but I felt this important task should be possible the standard way just
as I can grant the GRANT OPTION directly on a database or table.

PS: The whole thing must be compatible with MySQL 4.0 through 5.0.

--
Yves Goergen "LonelyPixel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
"Does the movement of the trees make the wind blow?"