My MySQL databases are stored in a directory that is with the rest of my
project.  I am using rsync to back up the entire project, including the
database files.  I'd much rather do it this way than to create files with
mysqldump.  Whenever MySQL creates a new database, the file is owned by the
user mysql, and has limited read and write permissions (this is on Linux,
btw).  It would be a HUGE help if I could make sure every time MySQL creates
any files, it creates them with at least group if not all read access for
backup purposes.

Is there a simple way to do this?

Thanks!

Hal