Harald Fuchs wrote:

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Daniel Kasak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Bryan Cantwell wrote:
Trying to migrate to MySql 5 from Sybase asa. I have a tables that
have column values that are calculated based on other columns in the
table. How can I accomplish the same in MySql?

This sounds a job for a trigger - an insert trigger.
I haven't used triggers in mysql, so I can't help you with exactly how
to do it.

If SELECT performance is good enough, a VIEW would probably be easier.

The advantage of a trigger is that it only runs when the data is inserted ( and possibly updated ). Depending on the use of the database, you may have a situation where the data is inserted and then selected from multiple times - that's at least the usage pattern we have here. In this case, you're better off with a stored procedure.

Also keep in mind that the title of the post said 'default', indicating that the fields in question might take on a different value to the calculated one.

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer