Michael,

thanks for your feedback!

Jay Paulson (CE CEN) wrote:

This helps a ton! Thanks! I didn' tknow about the INET_NTOA() or the
INET_ATON() functions. That is much quicker to query on them than on a char set of ips. However, I did notice on the mysql web site that these functions are only available in 5.x but the way the page is set up I'm a little confused if this is true or not. I'm running 4.1.x and it would be nice to have those functions.

The page below is where I found information about the function.
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/miscellaneous-functions.html

Thanks!

Change the "5.0" to "4.1" in the URL to see the relevant page:

<http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/miscellaneous-functions.html>

You will discoverr that INET_NTOA() and INET_ATON() were added to mysql way back in version 3.23.15.

Unfortunately, the 5.0 version of the manual has no mention of when things were added to mysql in previous versions. You have to look at the 4.1 version of the manual for that. I suppose the reasoning is that the 5.0 manual is for only the one version of mysql, while the 4.1 manual is for versions 3.23, 4.0, and 4.1 combined, but I find it a real pain, and it seems to confuse people into thinking old things first arrived in 5.0.

I understand part of your complaint: Several people have criticised us for having removed version-specific information from the (now split) manuals. On the other hand, we haven't removed any information about when features were added, behaviour was changed, and so on, for the major version covered in the manual you're currently looking at.

For example, if some function was introduced in 3.23, you'll find the exact (minor) version when it was introduced in the 3.23/4.0/4.1 manual, but you won't find that version information in the 5.0 or the 5.1 manual.[1] I'd like to have split the 3.23/4.0/4.1 combined manual, too; however, we didn't have enough resources to do that, so that might be a cause of confusion for people using those MySQL versions. Sorry.

[1] The reasoning behind this: Is it relevant for a 5.0 user to know that INET_ATON() was introduced in 3.23.15? We don't think it is, and many users had complained that the manual was full of "clutter" like that.

Regards,

Stefan
--
Stefan Hinz   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>