This is really a question of RPMs (though it arises because I'm eager to move from MySQL 4.1 to MySQL 5). If I knew the correct place to post the question, I would probably know where to find the answer. I do suspect that it's a FAQ, but I haven't found the right search terms.

I'm using SuSE 9.3 (not the Enterprise Server), and I would like to upgrade from MySQL 4.1 to the latest stable version. There do not appear to be SuSE rpms for 5.0.

I'm happy to build and install MySQL from source, but I would like to integrate the fact of that installation into the RPM database. I'm sure that there are tools or instructions on how to do that, but I haven't found any yet.

Thanks for any help with this.

Cheers,

-j