OK, turns out this was a two fold issue.

The server I was on had 4.0 mySQL, which was severely limited in it's
abilities to use subqueries.  The server has since been update to the 4.1
series, and now the following 2-subquery query work just fine.

SELECT  firstname, lastname, B.playerid, count(B.playerid) as Bubbles,
B.playerid from
  (SELECT firstname, lastname, amount, playerid, date, place FROM
    (SELECT firstname, lastname, amount, results.playerid, date, place
     FROM results, players WHERE players.playerid = results.playerid and
amount=0 AND year(date)=$year
     ORDER BY DATE, place ASC ) as A GROUP BY A.date)
   AS B GROUP BY B.playerid ORDER BY Bubbles DESC;

Thomas 'Skip' Hollowell wrote:
How do I simply find out who the bubble is now in my db now that we track more than 1 $0 person. I need just the person with $0 in the amount column with the lowest Place for each date. I can iterate through it all if needed in PHP, but I am always looking to learn more SQL tricks.

I am close, as this gives me 1 person, and it says what that amount is, but then it gives me the person with the highest PLACE, instead of what is shown in min(place). (

    SELECT playerid, date, place, min(place)
    FROM results WHERE amount=0 AND year(date)=2006
    GROUP BY date ORDER BY DATE, place DESC

Full Query
SELECT firstname, lastname, A.playerid, count(A.playerid) AS Bubbles, A.place
    FROM
        (SELECT playerid, date, place, min(place)
         FROM results WHERE amount=0 AND year(date)=2006
         GROUP BY date ORDER BY DATE, place DESC
    ) AS A,
players WHERE a.playerid = players.playerid GROUP BY A.playerid ORDER BY Bubbles DESC;

Anyone?

Skip.