I would have provided a resolved stack trace if there was one referred
to in the mysqld.err.

I believe it's what Alex said:

 innodb_buffer_pool_size + key_buffer_size
+ max_connections*(sort_buffer_size+read_buffer_size+binlog_cache_size)
+ max_connections*2MB

uses more memory than I have.

To the MySQL folks, can the crash error be changed?  I appreciate that
it's in the docs, and I should know them back and forth of course, but
when the crash error says that the total possible memory is
key_buffer_size + max_connections*(sort_buffer_size+read_buffer_size)
that's actually wrong.

Thanx for everyone's help!

-Sheeri