OK here goes I've had a problem for a few days that I can't resolve.

At the OS level
If I ping the name localhost I get a good return and if I ping
127.0.0.1 I also get a good return as noted below.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~# ping localhost -c 2
PING localhost (127.0.0.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from localhost (127.0.0.1): icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.034 ms
64 bytes from localhost (127.0.0.1): icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.028 ms

--- localhost ping statistics ---
2 packets transmitted, 2 received, 0% packet loss, time 999ms
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~# ping 127.0.0.1 -c 2

--- 127.0.0.1 ping statistics ---
2 packets transmitted, 2 received, 0% packet loss, time 999ms

when I run the restart script I get the following in syslog
Jan 10 15:35:51 www mysqld[2334]: 060110 15:35:51 [Note]
/usr/sbin/mysqld: Normal shutdown
Jan 10 15:35:51 www mysqld[2334]:
Jan 10 15:35:51 www mysqld[2334]: 060110 15:35:51  InnoDB: Starting shutdown...
Jan 10 15:35:54 www mysqld[2334]: 060110 15:35:54  InnoDB: Shutdown
completed; log sequence number 0 43884
Jan 10 15:35:54 www mysqld[2334]: 060110 15:35:54 [Note]
/usr/sbin/mysqld: Shutdown complete
Jan 10 15:35:54 www mysqld[2334]:
Jan 10 15:35:54 www mysqld_safe[2590]: ended
Jan 10 15:35:55 www mysqld_safe[2649]: started
Jan 10 15:35:55 www mysqld[2652]: 060110 15:35:55  InnoDB: Started;
log sequence number 0 43884
Jan 10 15:35:55 www mysqld[2652]: /usr/sbin/mysqld: ready for connections.
Jan 10 15:35:55 www mysqld[2652]: Version: '
4.1.11-Debian_4sarge2-log'  socket: '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock'
port: 43306  Source distribution

All looks good so far

here is my my.cnf file
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/etc/mysql# grep -v ^# my.cnf
[client]
port= 43306
socket= /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
[mysqld_safe]
socket= /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
nice= 0
[mysqld]
user= mysql
pid-file= /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid
socket= /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
port= 43306
basedir= /usr
datadir= /var/lib/mysql
tmpdir= /tmp
language= /usr/share/mysql/english
skip-external-locking
key_buffer= 16M
max_allowed_packet= 16M
thread_stack= 128K
query_cache_limit= 1048576
query_cache_size        = 16777216
query_cache_type        = 1
log-bin= /var/log/mysql/mysql-bin.log
max_binlog_size= 104857600
skip-bdb
[mysqldump]
quick
quote-names
max_allowed_packet= 16M
[mysql]
[isamchk]
key_buffer= 16M

here is the variables from mysqladmin -u root -p variables
+-----------------------------
----+----------------------------------------------------------+

+---------------------------------+----------------------------------------------------------+
| back_log                        | 50
                      |
| basedir                         | /usr/
                      |
| bdb_cache_size                  | 8388600

| bdb_home                        |

| bdb_log_buffer_size             | 0

| bdb_logdir                      |

| bdb_max_lock                    | 10000
                      |
| bdb_shared_data                 | OFF

| bdb_tmpdir                      |

| binlog_cache_size               | 32768
                      |
| bulk_insert_buffer_size         | 8388608
                      |
| character_set_client            | latin1
                      |
| character_set_connection        | latin1
                      |
| character_set_database          | latin1
                      |
| character_set_results           | latin1
                      |
| character_set_server            | latin1
                      |
| character_set_system            | utf8
                      |
| character_sets_dir              | /usr/share/mysql/charsets/
                      |
| collation_connection            | latin1_swedish_ci
                      |
| collation_database              | latin1_swedish_ci
                      |
| collation_server                | latin1_swedish_ci
                      |
| concurrent_insert               | ON
                      |
| connect_timeout                 | 5
                      |
| datadir                         | /var/lib/mysql/
                      |
| date_format                     | %Y-%m-%d
                      |
| datetime_format                 | %Y-%m-%d %H:%i:%s
                      |
| default_week_format             | 0
                      |
| delay_key_write                 | ON
                      |
| delayed_insert_limit            | 100
                      |
| delayed_insert_timeout          | 300
                      |
| delayed_queue_size              | 1000
                      |
| expire_logs_days                | 0
                      |
| flush                           | OFF
                      |
| flush_time                      | 0

| ft_boolean_syntax               | + -><()~*:""&|

| ft_max_word_len                 | 84
                      |
| ft_min_word_len                 | 4
                      |
| ft_query_expansion_limit        | 20
                      |
| ft_stopword_file                | (built-in)
                      |
| group_concat_max_len            | 1024
                      |
| have_archive                    | YES
                      |
| have_bdb                        | DISABLED
                      |
| have_blackhole_engine           | NO
                      |
| have_compress                   | YES
                      |
| have_crypt                      | YES
                      |
| have_csv                        | YES
                      |
| have_example_engine             | NO
                      |
| have_geometry                   | YES
                      |
| have_innodb                     | YES
                      |
| have_isam                       | YES
                      |
| have_ndbcluster                 | DISABLED
                      |
| have_openssl                    | NO
                      |
| have_query_cache                | YES
                      |
| have_raid                       | YES
                      |
| have_rtree_keys                 | YES
                      |
| have_symlink                    | YES

| init_connect                    |

| init_file                       |

| init_slave                      |

| innodb_additional_mem_pool_size | 1048576
                      |
| innodb_autoextend_increment     | 8
                      |
| innodb_buffer_pool_awe_mem_mb   | 0
                      |
| innodb_buffer_pool_size         | 8388608
                      |
| innodb_data_file_path           | ibdata1:10M:autoextend

| innodb_data_home_dir            |

| innodb_fast_shutdown            | ON
                      |
| innodb_file_io_threads          | 4
                      |
| innodb_file_per_table           | OFF
                      |
| innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit  | 1

| innodb_flush_method             |

| innodb_force_recovery           | 0
                      |
| innodb_lock_wait_timeout        | 50
                      |
| innodb_locks_unsafe_for_binlog  | OFF

| innodb_log_arch_dir             |

| innodb_log_archive              | OFF
                      |
| innodb_log_buffer_size          | 1048576
                      |
| innodb_log_file_size            | 5242880
                      |
| innodb_log_files_in_group       | 2
                      |
| innodb_log_group_home_dir       | ./
                      |
| innodb_max_dirty_pages_pct      | 90
                      |
| innodb_max_purge_lag            | 0
                      |
| innodb_mirrored_log_groups      | 1
                      |
| innodb_open_files               | 300
                      |
| innodb_table_locks              | ON
                      |
| innodb_thread_concurrency       | 8
                      |
| interactive_timeout             | 28800
                      |
| join_buffer_size                | 131072
                      |
| key_buffer_size                 | 16777216
                      |
| key_cache_age_threshold         | 300
                      |
| key_cache_block_size            | 1024
                      |
| key_cache_division_limit        | 100
                      |
| language                        | /usr/share/mysql/english/
                      |
| large_files_support             | ON
                      |
| license                         | GPL
                      |
| local_infile                    | ON
                      |
| locked_in_memory                | OFF
                      |
| log                             | OFF
                      |
| log_bin                         | ON

| log_error                       |

| log_slave_updates               | OFF
                      |
| log_slow_queries                | OFF
                      |
| log_update                      | OFF
                      |
| log_warnings                    | 1
                      |
| long_query_time                 | 10
                      |
| low_priority_updates            | OFF
                      |
| lower_case_file_system          | OFF
                      |
| lower_case_table_names          | 0
                      |
| max_allowed_packet              | 16776192
                      |
| max_binlog_cache_size           | 4294967295
                      |
| max_binlog_size                 | 104857600
                      |
| max_connect_errors              | 10
                      |
| max_connections                 | 100
                      |
| max_delayed_threads             | 20
                      |
| max_error_count                 | 64
                      |
| max_heap_table_size             | 16777216
                      |
| max_insert_delayed_threads      | 20
                      |
| max_join_size                   | 4294967295
                      |
| max_length_for_sort_data        | 1024
                      |
| max_relay_log_size              | 0
                      |
| max_seeks_for_key               | 4294967295
                      |
| max_sort_length                 | 1024
                      |
| max_tmp_tables                  | 32
                      |
| max_user_connections            | 0
                      |
| max_write_lock_count            | 4294967295
                      |
| myisam_data_pointer_size        | 4
                      |
| myisam_max_extra_sort_file_size | 2147483648
                      |
| myisam_max_sort_file_size       | 2147483647
                      |
| myisam_recover_options          | OFF
                      |
| myisam_repair_threads           | 1
                      |
| myisam_sort_buffer_size         | 8388608
                      |
| ndb_autoincrement_prefetch_sz   | 32
                      |
| ndb_force_send                  | ON
                      |
| ndb_use_exact_count             | ON
                      |
| ndb_use_transactions            | OFF
                      |
| net_buffer_length               | 16384
                      |
| net_read_timeout                | 30
                      |
| net_retry_count                 | 10
                      |
| net_write_timeout               | 60
                      |
| new                             | OFF
                      |
| old_passwords                   | OFF
                      |
| open_files_limit                | 1024
                      |
| pid_file                        | /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid
                      |
| port                            | 43306
                      |
| preload_buffer_size             | 32768
                      |
| protocol_version                | 10
                      |
| query_alloc_block_size          | 8192
                      |
| query_cache_limit               | 1048576
                      |
| query_cache_min_res_unit        | 4096
                      |
| query_cache_size                | 16777216
                      |
| query_cache_type                | ON
                      |
| query_cache_wlock_invalidate    | OFF
                      |
| query_prealloc_size             | 8192
                      |
| range_alloc_block_size          | 2048
                      |
| read_buffer_size                | 131072
                      |
| read_only                       | OFF
                      |
| read_rnd_buffer_size            | 262144
                      |
| relay_log_purge                 | ON
                      |
| relay_log_space_limit           | 0
                      |
| rpl_recovery_rank               | 0
                      |
| secure_auth                     | OFF
                      |
| server_id                       | 1
                      |
| skip_external_locking           | ON
                      |
| skip_networking                 | OFF
                      |
| skip_show_database              | OFF
                      |
| slave_net_timeout               | 3600
                      |
| slave_transaction_retries       | 0
                      |
| slow_launch_time                | 2
                      |
| socket                          | /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
                      |
| sort_buffer_size                | 2097144

| sql_mode                        |

| storage_engine                  | MyISAM
                      |
| sql_notes                       | ON
                      |
| sql_warnings                    | ON
                      |
| sync_binlog                     | 0
                      |
| sync_replication                | 0
                      |
| sync_replication_slave_id       | 0
                      |
| sync_replication_timeout        | 0
                      |
| sync_frm                        | ON
                      |
| system_time_zone                | EST
                      |
| table_cache                     | 64
                      |
| table_type                      | MyISAM
                      |
| thread_cache_size               | 0
                      |
| thread_stack                    | 131072
                      |
| time_format                     | %H:%i:%s
                      |
| time_zone                       | SYSTEM
                      |
| tmp_table_size                  | 33554432
                      |
| tmpdir                          | /tmp
                      |
| transaction_alloc_block_size    | 8192
                      |
| transaction_prealloc_size       | 4096
                      |
| tx_isolation                    | REPEATABLE-READ
                      |
| version                         | 4.1.11-Debian_4sarge2-log
                      |
| version_bdb                     | Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB
4.1.24: (April  1, 2005) |
| version_comment                 | Source distribution
                      |
| version_compile_machine         | i386
                      |
| version_compile_os              | pc-linux-gnu
                      |
| wait_timeout                    | 28800

+---------------------------------+----------------------------------------------------------+

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~# cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1       localhost localhost.localdomain

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~# iptables --list
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~# ipchains --list
ipchains: Incompatible with this kernel

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~# telnet localhost 43306
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~# telnet 127.0.0.1 43306
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to 127.0.0.1.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~# netstat -an |grep LISTEN
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:22           0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:43306           0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN

Now for the fun part

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~# mysqladmin -h localhost -u root -p ping
Enter password:
mysqld is alive
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~# mysqladmin -h 127.0.0.1 -u root -p ping
Enter password:
mysqladmin: connect to server at '127.0.0.1' failed
error: 'Lost connection to MySQL server during query'

ok so my issue is the software that i am using is hardcoded to use
127.0.0.1 and not localhost.  Even if i add the bind-address to my.cnf
I still get the same error. If I bind it to an external ip address I
then can still connect to localhost but not 127.0.0.1 nor the external
IP adress.  Any ideas or point me to some good documentation on this
would be great.  I tried to search through several search engines but
they all lead me nowhere, any help is appreciated.

--Lance