Hello all.
I am looking into the different back up methods available for safeguarding my MySQL databases. Ideally, I would like to have dedicated machine on our network which all data is dumped to periodically. The tool I would like to use is MySQL Administrator although I could also use Navicatt. We run Mac OS X/MySQL 4.0.21.

What I am a bit confused on is the issue of record locking. If I have a schedule to dump the db structure with data 1 per day, and some of the tables may contain over a million records, the dump time is rather lengthy. During this time, if clients and all automated processes (reading and writing) scheduled to execute during this time, are locked out, what do they receive when they load a web page with data originating from this table?

Furthermore, would it make more sense to have the data dump locally, and then use a script to move the contents of the dump to a machine on the network, perhaps even to a machine located on an alternate network accessed via a second ethernet card?

Finally, after reading about replication, this seems most attractive as I would have a duplicate of the existing server from which my backups could be performed. This way my data is always available online to customers. However, if I read correctly, does this mean I will need 1 additional machine of at least equal speed to achieve this? How do others handle replication issues when you have several MySQL servers. . . having 1 machine for each seems like an expensive solution but it also seems like the most flexible.

Any input is appreciated.

-Rick