I have a new installation of MySQL 5.0 (I did not port an old ver). I am running a Ruby on Rails application that uses this db. I have grants for [EMAIL PROTECTED], root@"localhost" and root@'192.168.0.63'. The passwords for these 3 grants are old style 16 byte hashes. There was one single grant for root that had a 41 byte new style hash. I thought it was redundant and deleted it.

I can log in using the mysql client but my rails application can no longer log in. I'm not 100% sure that the problem is because I removed that grant but I'm fairly sure (no other configuration info has changed)

My question is, why when I "GRANT all on *.* to root@'localhost' identified by 'xxxxxxx'" do I get a 16 byte hash and not a 41 byte hash? Since my theory is the lack of a grant with a 41 byte hash I'd like to test that. How do I create 41 byte password hashes ?

Thanks,

Gary