Personal data databases often seem to have variable information that
doesn't fit all that well in relational databases.  For example,
multiple phone numbers for different purposes.

One thing I'm considering is to have a variable text field that
contains XML-encoded data to handle all this miscellaneous stuff that
not all members have.

Another solution (non-mysql) is to use LDAP, which is specifically
designed for this kind of application.  LDAP servers generally use
one of the dbm libraries, although they have been implemented using
SQL engines as well.  There is an open LDAP implementation at
http://www.openldap.com.  I've used it before, it works.  It's also
handy for community websites, as your members can set up their
Netscape browsers to connect directly to the LDAP server.

GB

On Friday 11 May 2001 09:43 am, Eric Fitzgerald opined: