To: <mysql@lists.mysql.com>
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2006 5:32 PM
Subject: Re: count(*) send a wrong value

Thank you for you answer, but I read many times and I did not found
something to answer my question (well, I did not know about the NULL).

In my case:
- there is one table
- htere is no "distinct"
- there is a WHERE clause, so there is no optimisation
- there is no other field and no "group by"

If I do "count(cid)", I still get "2".

Fabien

Le lundi 23 janvier 2006 à 20:54 +0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] a écrit :
>From the MySQL 4.1 manual

12.10.1. GROUP BY (Aggregate) Functions

COUNT(expr)

Returns a count of the number of non-NULL values in the rows
retrieved by a SELECT statement.

COUNT() returns 0 if there were no matching rows.

mysql> SELECT student.student_name,COUNT(*)
    ->        FROM student,course
    ->        WHERE student.student_id=course.student_id
    ->        GROUP BY student_name;

COUNT(*) is somewhat different in that it returns a count
of the number of rows retrieved, whether or not they contain
NULL values.

COUNT(*) is optimized to return very quickly if the SELECT
retrieves from one table, no other columns are retrieved,
and there is no WHERE clause. For example:

mysql> SELECT COUNT(*) FROM student;

 This optimization applies only to MyISAM and ISAM tables
only, because an exact record count is stored for these
table types and can be accessed very quickly. For
transactional storage engines (InnoDB, BDB), storing an
exact row count is more problematic because multiple
transactions may be occurring, each of which may affect the
count.

COUNT(DISTINCT expr,[expr...])

Returns a count of the number of different non-NULL values.

COUNT(DISTINCT) returns 0 if there were no matching rows.

mysql> SELECT COUNT(DISTINCT results) FROM student;

In MySQL, you can get the number of distinct expression
combinations that do not contain NULL by giving a list of
expressions. In standard SQL, you would have to do a
concatenation of all expressions inside COUNT(DISTINCT ...).

COUNT(DISTINCT ...) was added in MySQL 3.23.2.

Keith

In practice they are not.

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006, fabsk wrote:

> To: mysql@lists.mysql.com
> From: fabsk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: count(*) send a wrong value
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm facing a strange problem. I am using a database at my Internet
> provider (Free, France). The type of table is MyISAM (no choice),
MySQL