Yesterday I installed the XAMPP (used to be called LAMP) stack, which
includes mysql 5.0.18, on a Fedora Core 4 system. This seems like the
quickest way of getting version 5 running WITHOUT clashing at all with
my current install.
Everything went 100% smooth, and I was able to copy my 4.x myisam
based schemas over to the new directory (/opt/lampp/var/mysql), browse
the data with mysql's gui clients as well as with the phpMysql
console. (I do NOT bring both up simultaneously, and have disabled the
autostart for the old one.)
I changed the own and grp on the /opt/lampp directroy structure, with
the owner now being mysql with full rights.
I do not know at which point this happened but I can't bring up the
thing any longer. This is what I get:
060124 14:15:44  mysqld started
060124 14:15:44 [ERROR] Can't start server : Bind on unix socket:
Permission denied
060124 14:15:44 [ERROR] Do you already have another mysqld server
running on socket: /opt/lampp/var/mysql/mysql.sock ?
060124 14:15:44 [ERROR] Aborting

060124 14:15:44 [Note] /opt/lampp/sbin/mysqld: Shutdown complete

060124 14:15:44  mysqld ended

Your help is appreciated.
-nat