Thank you Gleb,
I'm afraid I'm in over my head on this subject as I am restricted to make db
changes via sql or phpmyadmin.It seem from your references the database
character_set needs to be set to latin? I'm speculating to change
character_sets and collations I need access to other utilites, programs or
server administrative functions I am not aware of.

I have inspected other servers I work on which enable me to insert accented
characters and it appears they all have the following settings:
character_set: latin1
character_sets latin1 big5 czech euc_kr gb2312 gbk latin1_de sjis...

Am I correct to assume changes to character sets must be done via command
line?
cw
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]