Phillip,

You probably didn't need to upgrade - just set the mysql password to use
"old_password":

FTFM:

"As indicated earlier, a danger in this scenario is that it is possible
for accounts that have a short password hash to become inaccessible to
pre-4.1 clients. A change to such an account's password made via GRANT,
PASSWORD(), or SET PASSWORD results in the account being given a long
password hash. From that point on, no pre-4.1 client can authenticate to
that account until the client upgrades to 4.1.

To deal with this problem, you can change a password in a special way.
For example, normally you use SET PASSWORD as follows to change an
account password:

SET PASSWORD FOR 'some_user'@'some_host' = PASSWORD('mypass');

To change the password but create a short hash, use the OLD_PASSWORD()
function instead:

SET PASSWORD FOR 'some_user'@'some_host' = OLD_PASSWORD('mypass');

OLD_PASSWORD() is useful for situations in which you explicitly want to
generate a short hash. "

So, you could have just updated the password using :