This is wishful thinking, but I figured I'd ask anyway: the
manual states:

 "Starting from MySQL 4.1, the --tmpdir option can be set
  to a list of several paths that are used in round-robin
  fashion."

Are these directories promotable at all? In other words, if
I specify an 8G partition and a 20G partition, and a
temporary table runs out of space in the former, will MySQL
attempt to move it to the latter? We've been considering the
purchase of a flash drive as a temporary disk for some of
our larger reports, but on occassion we'll run a Very Large
Report that would easily overrun the smaller disk.