Hello.

You will get much more help from the list if you provide the current
table structure, short description of the information which is stored
in that fields, and the query you want to optimize (most probably it
takes much more time than others).

> If point 1 is true then is there a way to trim all whitespace data?

There are LTRIM and RTRIM functions. See:
  http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/string-functions.html

       <___/   www.mysql.com