On Thursday,  9 February 2006 at 17:02:06 -0800, Michael Jeung wrote:

> Periodically, exim throws the following error into its panic log:
>
> Feb 9 13:24:51 mx_server_1 exim[69953]: 2006-02-09 13:24:51 failed to expand
> "${lookup mysql {select distinct domain from email_table where
> domain='$domain'}{$value}}" while checking a list: lookup of "select distinct
> domain from email_table where domain='bob.com'" gave DEFER: MYSQL connection
> failed: Can't connect to MySQL server on '127.0.0.1' (61)
>
> (where bob.com is one of our customer's domains that we host.)
>
> This has been happening for months, and I'm trying to get rid of
> these errors. The come in bursts - in a single second, I could get as
> many as 30 to 40 of these messages.
>
> Now, I've taken a few different steps to track this down, but the
> problem is very elusive and hard to replicate. The mySQL error logs
> are unhelpful. I'm sure that my mySQL server isn't running out of
> connections, because if it was, I would receive a "too many
> connection" error message. (I deliberately lowered the max number of
> mySQL connections to test this.)

Since you've checked the MySQL logs, can I assume that you've
confirmed that the server hasn't been failing and being restarted?
Even if you don't find any evidence of such problems, can you check
with ps to see when the mysqld was started?

> I'm wondering if there's a system level limit that I'm running into
> that would be independant of exim or mySQL's configuration. I'm a
> little hazy in this area, but I would be talking about some sysctl
> variable, a ulimit on open sockets, or something to that effect.

This doesn't seem consistent with the errors you're reporting.  If you
did hit some FreeBSD-related limit, it would be reported in
/var/log/messages.

Greg
--
Greg Lehey, Senior Software Engineer