This is where a theoretical education is great. . .Lots of us are
self-taught, some of us have had theoretical stuff.  I hated
theoretical stuff in college and grad school, because I just wanted to
sit and make something productive.  I'm coming to realize that that
kind of education is invaluable. . .just having gone through
relational algebra and calculus, and seeing how SQL is different from
that stuff....

anyway.  I think a small bit of reading on the Entity-Relationship
model (ER model) will help.  A good page is:

http://www.utexas.edu/its/windows/database/datamodeling/dm/erintro.html

Note the link at the bottom of that page to "Data Modeling as part of
Database Design".  That whole site is really good, actually.

-Sheeri