Innodb is not row-level locking -- it's memory-page-level-locking.  A
memory page is usually small, so it's almost like row-level locking,
but not quite.  Perhaps you're running up against that?

What does the query log say which queries were running?  How do you
know it's the delete that's taking the lock, and not an update (the
error message said an update or a delete)?

-Sheeri