If you are running MySQL on Windows, then I'm wondering
whether you are having a problem with running out of
available ports, for clients to connect to MySQL on.

This may be your problem:

>From the manual, 2.3.16. MySQL on Windows Compared to MySQL
on Unix

***
MySQL for Windows has proven itself to be very stable. The
Windows version of MySQL has the same features as the
corresponding Unix version, with the following exceptions:

Limited number of ports

Windows systems have about 4,000 ports available for client
connections, and after a connection on a port closes, it
takes two to four minutes before the port can be reused. In
situations where clients connect to and disconnect from the
server at a high rate, it is possible for all available
ports to be used up before closed ports become available
again. If this happens, the MySQL server appears to be
unresponsive even though it is running. Note that ports may
be used by other applications running on the machine as
well, in which case the number of ports available to MySQL
is lower.

For more information, see
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;196271.
***