detailed info here:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/charset-connection.html

Thank you for that link. I think this is the heart of the issue.

Following the advice on the web page, I ran these commands:
SET NAMES utf8;
SET CHARACTER_SET utf8;

But I can check my MySQL system variables in phpMyAdmin, and here's what it says:
Variable        Session value        Global value
character set client        utf8       latin1
character set connection     utf8     latin1
character set database     latin1     latin1
character set results     utf8     latin1
character set server     latin1     latin1
character set system     utf8     utf8
collation connection     utf8_general_ci     latin1_swedish_ci
collation database     latin1_swedish_ci     latin1_swedish_ci
collation server     latin1_swedish_ci     latin1_swedish_ci

What I want to do is change *all* of these to utf8. That's the only encoding I ever work in, and I want to make my system as consistent as possible.

What commands do I run to permanently fix all of these collation and character set variables to utf8?

--
Dave M G