Imran,
  I noticed couple of permissions were not correct.I changed mysql.mysql.
  Still Ihave been getting following errors.
  060214 15:53:05  mysqld started
060214 15:53:05  InnoDB: Started; log sequence number 0 43655
060214 15:53:06 [ERROR] Fatal error: Can't open and lock privilege tables:
Table 'mysql.host' doesn't exist
060214 15:53:06  mysqld ended

  Please advice.
  thanks

Imran Chaudhry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  On 2/14/06, Ravi Kumar wrote:
> Starting mysql with root.I tried withn mysql user account also but still same
> error.
> thanks

Ravi,
Assuming you are starting MySQL with mysqld_safe, then it will invoke
the MySQL server as the mysql user.

I suspect the cause is that /var/lib/mysql is not owned by mysql

If so, as superuser: chown -R mysql:mysql /var/lib/mysql

Regards,
Imran Chaudhry
--
http://www.ImranChaudhry.info
MySQL Database Management & Design Services