You will not have access to the extra functionality in MySQL
5.0 if you are connecting to it via a php4 client API, as
the php4 API does not know about the extra functionality in
MSQL 5.0.

You could try downloading and compiling Apache 2.0.55, or
2.2.0, MySQL standard linux statically linked binary
.tar.gz, and php 5.1.2.

You will need to compile apache first. Then install MySQL in
/usr/local/mysql, or make a symlink from /usr/local/mysql,
to the place you unpacked the MySQL binary.

Then compile php with something like:

#! /bin/sh
#
# Created by configure

'./configure' \
'--with-apxs2=/usr/local/apache-2.0.55/bin/apxs' \
'--prefix=/usr/local/php-5.1.2' \
'--with-mysql=shared,/downloads/mysql/bin/mysql-standard-5.0.18-linux-i686' \
'--with-mysql-sock=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' \
'--with-zlib-dir=/usr/include' \
'--with-mysqli=shared,/downloads/mysql/bin/mysql-standard-5.0.18-linux-i686/bin/mysql_config'
 \
"$@"

It is possible to compile php5 with both the old mysql
extension, and the newer mysqli extension, provided they
are both compiled to use the same MySQL client libraries.

HTH

Keith

In practice they are not.

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006, Dan Stromberg wrote:

> To: mysql@lists.mysql.com
> From: Dan Stromberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: mysql oddity
>

> Hi folks.
>
> I've been compiling my own apps for over a decade, but it seems like
> it's time to get -with- the times, and start using precompiled binaries
> more.
>
> So I got a set of matching set of precomiled apache2/mysql5/php5 off of
> ibiblio for a Solaris 9/Sparc box.
>
> However, even though I have apache2 running with php5, and mysql5 is
> running (mysql4 is not), phpinfo is telling me that it was built against
> mysql4...

snip