Richard,

thank you for the observations. Some comments:

>Just installed MaxSQL 3.23.38 on a test system to check out InnoDB. Here
are my
>observations:
>
>1) Manual is not clear on permissions of directories - They should be
mysql.root
>owned. The error in the error log just says cannot create file. This could
be one
>of many things! I had to use my initiative, but newbie user will never pick
this
>up.

Ok, I promised in a posting an hour ago that InnoDB will print the
OS error number in future. I will also update the manual.

>2) The error logs format is not consistent across InnoDB and normal Mysql:
>010514 17:11:32  mysqld started
>InnoDB: Error in creating or opening /data/ibdata/ibdata1
>InnoDB: Could not open data files010514 17:11:33  Can't init databases
>010514 17:11:33  mysqld ended
>This makes it almost impossible to do something useful (like parse) the log
file.

Many people wish that it would print the time before the error message.
It is on the TODO list :).

>3) Initial data file creation is VERY slow. I am still waiting after 15
minutes
>for the first file to complete - It is only 606megs now. I have two files.
What
>happens if you run out of table space and quickly need to create more
extents? Shutting
>down the database does not sound like a good option in a mission critical
24/7 environment.
>This is on a linux Redhat 6.2 (latest patches) box with Raid 5 disks on an
IBM Serveraid
>controller.

I am just running on our Linux Xeon, and the the initial writing to a file
proceeds only 1 MB/second. It seems to have slowed down a lot when
I added the fsync to all file writes in .38. It writes 1 MB chunks to the
file at a time, and there is no reason why it should be so slow. I guess
that the problem is in Linux. I have to do so that in the initial writing
fsync is not used, but the file is closed, and opened again. Or we could
try writing smaller chunks than 1 MB.

Maybe we should contact Linux developers. fsync should not cause
these kinds of problems.

>4) Ok, datafiles created overnight. Now trying alter table ... type=innodb
on a
>file with 1.2mil records. Still waiting after about 12 hours. Dumping files
this
>size is going to be problematic. Machine pegs with load of around 12! I
suggest
>LOTS more testing on BIG tables. Small stuff normally works quite well, but
HUGE
>tables is where it counts.Thanks for the help.

It sounds like that the operation is disk bound. What is the CPU and
disk load?

How big is the table in MBs? What kind of indexes you have?
How much buffer pool you have configured in my.cnf?

>PS: I am willing to test stuff on my development machine.

Good :).

Best regards,

Heikki
http://www.innobase.fi