Patrick,

>Shouldn't I be getting back a '1' when I do my select??? >Why am I getting an empty set?

First, creating a table doesn't add any rows. Show Create Table ... returns a row of data definition info, not a row of table data.

Second, Defining the column as NOT NULL will require numeric input for the column, so DEFAULT 1 will have no effect. What are you trying to accomplish with DEFAULT 1?

PB

-----

Patrick Duda wrote:
Why, when I create a table as follows:

mysql> create table requestid ( request_id int not null default 1, constraint requestid_innodb_pk_cons primary key(request_id) ) ENGINE=InnoDB;
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.02 sec)

Do I get the following?

mysql> select request_id from requestid;
Empty set (0.01 sec)

When I do a show create table I see:

mysql> show create table requestid;
+-----------+----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Table     | Create Table |
| requestid | CREATE TABLE `requestid` (
  `request_id` int(11) NOT NULL default '1',
  PRIMARY KEY  (`request_id`)
) ENGINE=InnoDB DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1 |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

Shouldn't I be getting back a '1' when I do my select??? Why am I getting an empty set? What am I not understanding? How do I create a table with a starting value of '1' or '0' for an int???

Thanks