From: Luke Vanderfluit [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2006 6:48 PM
To: mysql@lists.mysql.com
Subject: dropping a database to reclaim space

Hi.

I have a database that is fairly large and I'm doing some testing with 2
different mysql packages, one 32-bit, one 64bit, for comparison's sake.

Now I've finished with one of the dbs and I want to reclaim the disk
space.

I've tried deleting a few (large) tables from the database, thinking
this would free up space, however the mysql/var/ibdata1 file doesn't
change in size.

How can I get rid of a table or even complete database to reclaim disk
space?
I don't really want to delete the ibdata1 file, because that will also
delete the system database  right?
I've already tried drop database and that doesn't show reduced disk
space either.

I'm doing this on a solaris 9 box.
Any input appreciated.

Thanks.