/ "sheeri kritzer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> was heard to say:
| That's odd.  My mysql.sock is chmod 777, which happened automatically.

Yes, the mysql.sock file is 777. But the directory that contains it
/var/run/mysqld is 770 on boot.

| Check the startup script.  Is it calling mysqld_safe?  Are you using
| the regular startup script that came with mysql, or have you mucked
| with it?

I didn't muck with it. I don't know if Ubuntu did.

| Make sure when you chmod that the file is still a socket.  Shouldn't
| be a problem.

As I said, it isn't the socket that I have to change, it's the
directory.

| I don't really have much to add.
>
| a quick google search on "mysql.sock permissions" shows this bug:
>
| http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=11380
>
| did you also upgrade mysql when you did the OS upgrade ? If so, backup
| your stuff and run mysql_install_db.  That's the only suggestion I
| have, other than doing a google search as I did and look at more than
| the first 2 results (which was what I did to find that bug).

I looked through a whole bunch of them before subscribing to this list :-)

However, your note got me to looking at /usr/bin/mysqld_safe and it
would seem to me that either of the following changes would fix the
problem:

1. Change umask 007 to umask 002 at the top of the script or

2. Add "chmod 775 $mysql_unix_port_dir" after creating and chowning it.

I opted for the latter locally. But I'm not sure why others don't have
this problem. Are either of those changes local to Ubuntu?

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | Everything should be made as simple as
http://nwalsh.com/            | possible, but no simpler.