Denis Solovyov wrote:
If  I  compile mysql from sources with gcc 3.3.4 on linux 2.4 with glibc
2.3.2,  how  stable  will  mysqld  be  with  lots  (more  than  500)  of
simultaneous connections?
Does the issue described in the documentation for glibc 2.2 (big default
STACK_SIZE causes mysqld instablity) affect glibc 2.3 as well?
Thank you.

Denis Solovyov
I ran a similar system for quite a while - I didn't have any stability issues, apart from final hardware failure :) I can't tell you specifically about that glibc bug, but if the documentation only mentions 2.2, then you should be fine. Make sure you follow the instructions for compiling ( included in the source distribution ) - specifically the recommended CFLAGS.

Some other things to keep in mind:
- You would expect the most recent kernel to be the most stable ( most recent 2.4 kernel is fine if you don't want to upgrade to 2.6 ) - The gcc-3.3 series has reached 3.3.6 ... I don't know if there are any bugs fixed between your 3.3.4 the 3.3.6 that would affect you - probably not, but it's possible - MySQL recommends that people use their binaries for maximum performance and stability. If you come across a bug, the first thing they will suggest is that you try one of their binaries

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer