This is probably a simple question. I installed MySQL about a month ago on Mac OS X and I am new to this. During the installation (as root) I created a directory /var/mysql-data. Then, following the installation instructions:

#chown mysql:mysql /var/mysql-data
#chmod 770 /var/mysql-data

The problem is that I am denied access to all of the databases I have created - permission denied except when I connect to the server. When I look in PathFinder, the owner is listed as mysql. NetInfo tells me that I have such a user, that it is the MySQL server. If I gave mysql a password, I do not remember it. I did set up a mysql root with password, and using Navicat I have created another user.

Should I not see my databases in /var/mysql-data either in the terminal or the Finder?

thanks
-walter