To: "Julie Kelner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <mysql@lists.mysql.com>
Sent: Monday, February 27, 2006 12:50 PM
Subject: Re: LOAD DATA INFILE and BIT columns

Hi Julie,

If you notice after your import, you have 3 warnings.  This intrigued
me, so I created a test case (also running 5.0.18 standard):

create table bit_test (b bit(8));

cat /tmp/bit_test.txt

01010101
2
b'010'
b\'010\'
0x2
000000000000000002

mysql> load data infile '/tmp/bit_test.txt' into table bit_test;

Query OK, 6 rows affected, 5 warnings (0.05 sec)
Records: 6  Deleted: 0  Skipped: 0  Warnings: 5

Hrm.  I got 5 warnings; you'd only gotten 2.  Weird!

mysql> show warnings;
+---------+------+-----------------------------------------------------+
| Level   | Code | Message                                             |
+---------+------+-----------------------------------------------------+
| Warning | 1264 | Out of range value adjusted for column 'b' at row 1 |
| Warning | 1264 | Out of range value adjusted for column 'b' at row 3 |
| Warning | 1264 | Out of range value adjusted for column 'b' at row 4 |
| Warning | 1264 | Out of range value adjusted for column 'b' at row 5 |
| Warning | 1264 | Out of range value adjusted for column 'b' at row 6 |
+---------+------+-----------------------------------------------------+
5 rows in set (0.02 sec)

What this says to me is that the values were too big, for all but row 2.
mysql> select bin(b+0) from bit_test;
+----------+
| bin(b+0) |
+----------+
| 11111111 |
| 110010   |
| 11111111 |
| 11111111 |
| 11111111 |
| 11111111 |
+----------+
6 rows in set (0.05 sec)
so the 11111111 values make sense -- the values were larger than the
largest value, so it truncated it to the largest value.  But why, when
I insert a 2, does it use 11010 instead of 10?

Let's test:

mysql> insert into bit_test VALUES (2);
Query OK, 1 row affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> select bin(b+0) from bit_test;
+----------+
| bin(b+0) |
+----------+
| 11111111 |
| 110010   |
| 11111111 |
| 11111111 |
| 11111111 |
| 11111111 |
| 10       |
+----------+
7 rows in set (0.00 sec)

That makes sense!  the last value is 10, which makes sense for a
binary value of 2.  On a hunch, I tried to see what happened if it
treated 2 as a string, not an integer:

mysql> insert into bit_test VALUES ('2');
Query OK, 1 row affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> select bin(b+0) from bit_test;
+----------+
| bin(b+0) |
+----------+
| 11111111 |
| 110010   |
| 11111111 |
| 11111111 |
| 11111111 |
| 11111111 |
| 10       |
| 110010   |
8 rows in set (0.01 sec)

Aha!   the culprit -- it was thinking that the "2" in the file was a
string, not an int.

Hope this helped,

-Sheeri