The curse of the impatient and deadlined sysadmin:

060227 19:22:28 [ERROR] The slave I/O thread stops because master and
slave have different values for the COLLATION_SERVER global variable.
The values must be equal for replication to work

Change default charset, all works. Sorry for the noise. ;)

Rob