Hello fellow listers,
I recently upgraded via RPMs from 4.1 to 5.0.18 on a RH9.0 (glibc2.3, kernel
2.4.20) machine.
Now I have problems starting the mysqld automatically.  When it is invoked, the
error
"Couldn't find MySQLmanager or server" is emitted.  Here is a short history of
my actions thus far.

- Installed (updated) RPMs w/o shutting down current 4.1 mysqld first
- Can't start mysqld from init.d script as root
  - reset by hand the links to match those mentioned at top of "mysql" start
script
    (/etc/rc3.d/S99mysql, /etc/rc0.d/K01mysql)
  - Complains w/ the above mentioned error but "mysqlmanager", "mysqld_safe"
and "mysqld" all
    exist owned by root w/ 755 permissions
- able to start mysqld and mysqld_safe as root on the command-line
  - reset 'root' and 'mysql' user passwords as they were forgotten from earlier
install of 4.1
  - ran "mysql_fix_priviledge_tables"
  - every time server is run and subsequently shut down (via kill not kill -9),
the socket file                        doesn't go away
    - this prompts a change in the socket entry of /etc/my.cnf in order to
restart
      (mysql.sock(x) -> mysql.sock(x+1))
    - the directory /var/lib/mysql is owned by 'mysql' with permissions 755
  - able to connect to a running mysqld as both 'root' and 'mysql' users

I hope this is enough info as this post is getting rather long.  So, in short,
my problem is that I cannot get the mysqld running automatically at boot-time
and the socket files do not go away after the server exits.  Any info on this
would be greatly appreciated.

Steven J Orton
Software Engineer
Northrop Grumman Mission Systems